Tottori city is the capital of Tottori prefecture. It is located in the Chugoku region of Japan. Tottori has the smallest population among all the prefectures in Japan and it is famous for the Tottori Sand Dunes, which is located right beside the Sea of Japan.
Aiming to attract more foreign tourist, Tottori city is now offering a 3-hour Taxi ride to the tourist spots in Tottori city for only 2000 JPY per person. This service is available for foreign visitors only.
2000 JPY per person
(Up to 4 persons per taxi)
From April 1, 2017
Where to Apply
Tottori Tourist Information Center
The center opens from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm every day except on December 31 and January 1. You can find it on the right-hand side of North Exit of JR Tottori Station.
How to Apply
You can apply for the 2000 JPY taxi service at the information center mentioned above. The staff there can speak English, Korean and Chinese. First you tell them where you would like to visit and they can help you to build an up to 3-hour itinerary using the taxi service.
1. Hakuto Shrine⇒Hakuto Beach⇒Tottori Sand Dunes
2. Hakuto Shrine⇒Hakuto Beach⇒Uradome Coast⇒Tottori Sand Dunes
3. Uradome Coast⇒The Sand Museum⇒Tottori Sand Dunes
4. Tottori Sand Dunes⇒The Sand Museum⇒Tottori-jo Ato (Jinpukaku)
5. Tottori Karo Kanikkokan (Tottori Karo Crab Aquarium) and Karo-ichi Seafood Market⇒Genchuji Temple
6. Amedaki fall⇒Tofu Dishes Restaurant Amedaki⇒Inaba-Manyo History Museum
7. Amedaki fall⇒Tofu Dishes Restaurant Amedaki⇒Ube Shrine
There is no need to end your trip back to Tottori Station. For example, in sample route No.2, the taxi driver drop you at the Tottori Sand Dunes and your taxi service is finished then. You can take a bus there to go back to your hotel or Tottori Station.
1. A coupon card will be provided per taxi and all the visitors riding on this taxi can receive an entrance fare discount or a small gift from the tourist spots.
2. If you plan to visit the Sand Museum, it is better to get a ticket at the service center for 500 JPY, which is 600 JPY sold at the Sand Museum.
3. The waiting time of the taxi is also counted into the 3 hours.
If you have any questions regarding this taxi services, you can contact them at [email protected].
Top image: by Eiji Saito from Flickr CC