A travel company JTB West now offers a new service to help foreign tourists experience authentic Japanese cuisine in Kyoto.
JTB West, on May 24, published a guidebook to introduce Japanese restaurants in Kyoto to foreign tourists, which are distributed for free at Kansai Tourist Information Center Kyoto (KTIC Kyoto) and major hotels in Kyoto.
All restaurants in the book can be booked by visiting KTIC Kyoto or through calling their service center. The payment must be done at KTIC in advance, and once it is completed the voucher is issued.
According to the survey conducted by Japan Tourism Agency, one of the top things foreign tourists wish to do in Japan is to “eat Japanese food.” However, as JTB pointed out, many small Japanese restaurants usually do not advertise themselves, therefore such restaurants are not widely known by foreign tourists. Moreover, most of them only accept reservation over the phone, which makes it even more difficult for non-Japanese speakers. This service will enable more foreign visitors to experience authentic Japanese cuisine in Kyoto by helping them find and book a restaurant.
How to use the service
1. Pick a restaurant and menu from the guide book.
2. Visit Kansai Tourist Information Center Kyoto (KTIC Kyoto), or call them to make a reservation. (English or Chinese)
3. KTIC will call the restaurant on behalf to make a reservation.
4. Once the table is reserved, complete the payment by cash or credit card at KTIC Kyoto.
5. KTIC Kyoto issues the voucher.
6. Show the voucher at the restaurant and dine. Pay for the drinks and additional orders at the restaurant.
About the guide book JAPANESE RESTAURANT RESERVATION SERVICE in Kyoto
Number of restaurants on the book
Kansai Tourist Information Center Kyoto
Opening hours: 10:00am-6:00pm
Kansai Tourist Information Center Kyoto Website