The “JR EAST Welcome Rail Pass 2020”, a rail pass originally planned to be on sale exclusively for the Tokyo Olympics from July to September 2020, was postponed at the end of June 2020 due to the dramatic decrease in the number of foreign visitors to Japan and the postponement of the Tokyo Olympics, due to the new coronavirus pneumonia epidemic. However, on October 1, 2020, JR East announced that the Rail Pass would be available for sale from October 16, 2020. What is the fare of the “JR EAST Welcome Rail Pass 2020” rail pass? Where and how can it be used? Who can actually buy them? Let’s take a look!
JR EAST Welcome Rail Pass 2020″ Rail Pass Product Summary
JR EAST Welcome Rail Pass 2020
Period of Use
October 16, 2020 (Friday) ~ February 28, 2021 (Sunday)
October 16, 2020 (Friday) ~ February 26, 2021 (Friday)
Adult: 12,000 yen
Child: 6,000 yen
Eligibility to Purchase
- This rail pass can be purchased by foreign passport holders.
- This rail pass can be purchased by anyone with a short-term tourist visa, a business visa, a long-term student visa, or a working visa, as long as the passport is not issued by Japan.
- If your passport has expired in Japan and has been renewed at an embassy or consulate in Japan, don’t worry, the embassy or consulate is not legally or politically part of Japan and you can still purchase a travel pass.
- This rail pass is not applicable to Japanese nationals.
Contents of the pass
JR East Railway-operated limited express, rapid and regular trains are available for unlimited rides within a specified three-day consecutive period.
*JR East Japan Operating Area.
Kanto Region (Tokyo, Kanagawa, Chiba, Saitama, Gunma, Tochigi and Ibaraki prefectures)
Tohoku Region (Fukushima, Miyagi, Yamagata, Akita, Iwate and Aomori Prefectures)
Shin-Etsu Region (Nagano and Niigata Prefectures)
Pass Available for This Lines
- Tohoku Shinkansen, Yamagata Shinkansen, Akita Shinkansen, Joetsu Shinkansen, Hokuriku Shinkansen (Tokyo – Joetsu Myotaka), etc.
- JR East Japan Line (including BRT*)
- Aoimori Railway
- Iwate Galaxy Railway (IGR)
- Sanriku Railway
- Echigo Tokimeki Railway (from Myoko Kogen to Naoetsu)
- Shinano Railway
*BRT: BRT stands for Bus Rapid Transit. The system is based on a bus connection, guaranteeing space, punctuality and speed, and is comparable to that of a streetcar.
How to purchase the JR EAST Welcome Rail Pass 2020 rail pass
Purchase from the window of JR East Station
- JR EAST Travel Centers at Tokyo Station, Ueno Station, Shinjuku Station, Shinagawa Station, Shibuya Station, Ikebukuro Station, Hamamatsucho Station, Narita Airport Station, Airport Terminal 2 Station, Tokyo-Modoor Line Haneda Airport Terminal 3 Station, Sendai Station and other stations.
- Japan Rail Café (Tokyo Station), JR East Welcome Center Matsumoto (Matsumoto Station), and View Plaza (びゅうプラザ) in Yokohama, Niigata, Nagano, Morioka, and Akita.
- Confirming the ticket windows at www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticketwindow/
Purchase and collection of tickets from the Internet
Purchases can be made from the WAAmazing website below.
(The website will be open and online purchases will begin on October 16 at 10:00 JST).
- English: https://www.wamazing.com/ticket/tickets/wrp2020
- Traditional Chinese(Taiwan): https://tw.wamazing.com/ticket/tickets/wrp2020
- Traditional Chinese(Hong Kong): https://hk.wamazing.com/ticket/tickets/wrp2020
- Simplified Chinese : You can enter from the WeChat app after reading the QR code using WeChat.
After you purchase a ticket, you will be able to pick up your pass from the ticket vending machine at Ueno Station.
Passes can be purchased one month before their usage period begins.
After receiving the Rail Pass, purchasing a designated seat ticket from the window or the ticket vending machine is also necessary.
You can use the pass to enter the station directly through the automatic ticket gate.
Use the convenient WiFi rental service while traveling
When you are traveling, you may need to look up some spots or share the scenery on SNS, which will cost you more mobile data than usual. It’s not always possible to find free WiFi while traveling, so if you have a mobile WiFi, it will be easy for you to share with your family and friends without worrying about overspending.
CDJapan Rental offers you to rent Unlimited & High-Speed Rental WiFi, and you can also use it at home or at work.
And don’t worry about your security! We secure everyone’s communication through various methods such as connecting passwords and secreting wireless communication.
And since it’s a WiFi rental, you can use it right away when you get it, and you don’t have to go through the tedious setup and wait for a long installation project. You can choose short term use or long term rentals!
Why not taking one with you on your trip? There’s still a 40% off sale going on!
Unlimited & High-Speed! Short-term WiFi rental for travel
*The above information can be found on the JR East Welcome Rail Pass 2020 official website: https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2020/20201001_ho01.pdf.
GetAround Japan is your number one travel guide, providing the latest information on visiting and living in Japan, with tips on what to eat, things to do, and places to stay.
Whether you’re planning for a trip far in the future, or already in Japan in need of some fresh ideas, our archive of posts will help you find the best way to fill your time and get the most out of your travel experience.
We provide you updates on serious policies that affect visitors and foreign residents while also keeping things light and fun with articles on quirky trends and pop culture.
How do we know how to provide visitors the information they need? Our affiliate company CDJapan Rental provides WIFI and Sim Card rentals to thousands of visitors to Japan every year. In other words, we are constantly in touch with and listening to the voices of our customers, and infuse our blog with the information they ask us for.
For inquiries, contact us here
CDJapan Rental (Neowing Corporation) 1-10-15-3F Nihonbashi Horidome Chuo, Tokyo 103-0012, Japan